Precontemplation> Contemplation> Preparation (planning)> Action> Maintenance>Termination
The development of the model
- The initial paper, around self-change of smoking: Prochaska and DiClemente, 1983.
- In search of how people change: Applications to addictive behavior; Prochaska, DiClemente and Norcross 1992.
- The transtheoretical model of health behavior change; Prochaska and Velicer, 1997.
- An analysis of the model by a graduate student of Applied Psychology; Lenio 2006.
- A nice collection of references at the Motivation at a Glance site.
- Changing people's traveling behaviours (TravelSmart) and Reducing Alcohol harm (HAMS) have some cartoons that helped me understanding the concept. I add them in case there are more visual learners out there.
- Trying to forget that the World Bank is behind this analysis of the Theories of Behavior Change, I have to admit that this brief report on Communication for Governance and the references therein were useful to me.